Last night we took the kids downtown to see the fireworks as part of Grand Rapids' Celebration on the Grand festivities. The main reason being that while the kids were visiting my parents in Columbus for July 4th, there were major storms and the fireworks got cancelled. We wanted them to see a big fireworks show marking the end of summer! Quinn's parents met us downtown around 8 pm and we found a spot for our blanket to sit and listen to the classic rock band (they were pretty good) until the fireworks started.About 8:45pm, Nita and Quinn took Grace & Maddie to the bathrooms. As Al and I sat there with the baby - about five minutes later it started to sprinkle. We gathered everything up off the ground and put Faith in the stroller. By this time it was raining harder and everyone was running for cover. Quinn came running back alone to put his camera away in the case. By this time it was pouring - like the skies just opened up and a huge bucket of water was being poured out from heaven!! We heard somebody on the microphone say "Fireworks are cancelled!" Well Duh!!! So we trekked back to the restrooms for the rest of the crew - I told the guys to take the baby back to the car and we'd meet them there. We were already soaking wet!!
As I understood it, poor Faith went on the ride of her life after that! Quinn said he was surprised she was still in the stroller when he stopped - he and Al got stuck in an area that was partioned off and they ended up making circles in there for a few minutes until they figured out how to get out! Lol! Meanwhile, Nita took Grace's hand and I threw Q's jacket over Grace's head - I took my sweater off and put it on Maddie's head, picked her up... and we were off!! Running with two kids in the pouring down rain, out of the park across the street, past the hotel and into the parking lot where we had parked! Nita could barely see because of the water running down her glasses, and by this time I (still carrying Maddie this whole way) switched her to my back. I couldn't help but laugh the whole way back to the car - it was crazy!!!
By the time the girls and I reached the car, the guys and the baby were nowhere to be seen! So we ran under a parking garage. They had left a good 2 or 3 minutes before we did, but like I said - were stucking making circles in the partioned off area!! Lol again!!! My only sadness is that we didn't snap an "after" picture while standing in the parking garage looking like a bunch of drowned rats! Quinn didn't want to power up his camera while wet - understandable.All that to say that it was an unforgettable evening anyways without the fireworks and now we have a fun story to tell!!
No comments:
Post a Comment